User Group Meeting

Polaris Cataloging User Group - March 05, 2020

Mar 5 2020 | 10 - 11am

March 5, 2020 -- PKS Cataloging Group Meeting Notes:

Agenda:

  • Update on Data Issues & Standards:
    • Large print and regular print item merging. Remove 020 $z if you run across it. Megan/Jason - procedure to isolate those records still being worked on. Update: None
    • Subject heading display standards (include FAST and/or BISAC?). Leave in for now and can be suppressed in future if needed. List to be provided to Jason to test on TRN server displays after discussion. Kristen sent several examples to share and work from. Poll sent out to listserv as to what tags are being retained and which are being deleted (any 6xx tags). DIP, Statewide Catalog Development Libraries, NDB all do not make any changes. NDSL deletes BISAC, Sears, MESH and foreign language headings. NGF had deleted what they did not want in the past – how does this impact the other libraries? Need feedback on WHAT DO YOU WANT TO MAKE SURE IS RETAINED? Update: Working on it. Delayed a bit by the reorganization at NDSL.
    • Discussion topic: When a book is part of a series, each cataloger has a choice between putting the series name in the 245 |a and the individual volume title in the 245 | p (not |b, note) or just putting the individual title in the 245 |a. – this can present issues for reporting (multiple records for same book) and holds.
      • Public Services indicate there is a problem especially when it comes to HOLDS. Children’s books are the most frequent examples.
      • Current practices: NDSL generally goes by Title Page. NGF used consistent process also based on Title Page and made sure the same series matched. Series name is entered in prefix (local so not impacting other libraries). WFP has grouped items on shelves – unsure of exact cataloging process. Stacey’s libraries typically put title in 245 and series in 490. DIP tries to keep similar to Stacey’s libraries. Graphic novels create unique problems.
      • There should be a standard for our libraries. Need feedback from Discovery – Kristen to provide Jason examples to send to that group for discussion and decision. Kristen to run reports to analyze which practice is more common among libraries. UPDATE: No consistency among different series. Keep current policy for your library.
    • Discussion topic: MARC fields to set in the templates to be stripped out of OCLC during import: 029, 263, 938. These are all vendor-specific fields that are not intended to be used by libraries or patrons. We have several options ….
      • #1 set up tags to delete in the default which would limit your flexibility but standardize across all libraries (assuming everyone can agree)
      • #2 have a recommended standard for the Import Profiles and let each library determine what is best for what they are doing. This would allow for different tags to be deleted in different profiles as needed
      • #3 In release 6.4 (currently available on TRN environment and soon to be installed on PROD), there is an option to delete all instances of a defined tag – not just the first or last during a Bib Record Bulk Change. This should be of great help in some of the remaining cleanup activities.
      • #4 set up profile in OCLC to strip out tags on import. *** UPDATE: Lynn setup PROD server for NGF to not retain tags. Bobbi had to make a slight profile change to use the system default settings. Discussion. Work on document outlining the different ways to address this issue. Will become part of the Cataloging User Group documents when completed.
  • New Items:
    • Cindy (DIP) doing research into what items are owned and comparing to skinny bibs and holdings in WorldCat. She sent out document explaining process on 2/26/20. Comments or discussion since last week? No additional comments. Will remove from agendas but can revisit if needed.
    • Discussion topic: Cataloging two different editions of same recording by the same narrator, re-released later by a different distributor -- for shared catalog purposes, probably want to make one record. Discovery Group was fine with combining. Different ISBN numbers could be problematic. Extra work for catalogers to verify the editions and perhaps to choose something other than “the best record.” What do we want to do? Each library will decide local policy and if issues surface for the consortia, we can revisit.
    • Discussion topic: Cleanup of the Import Profiles. Update: Completed.
  • Future topics:
    • Authority records - New release of Polaris installed on TRN and authority processing is ready for testing. Lynn will work on procedures to work through the database. Update: I have access to update directory.
  • Update from libraries – how are things going? Please share any tips or hints you run across with either the listserv or at meetings.
    • Megan sent a link for the SHARE consortium in Illinois that also has a central shared bib. She thought we might find something useful on their website: https://share.illinoisheartland.org/policies-and-procedures/bibliograph…
    • Audrey from NGF is having issues with ILL – LEA material is being sent when NGF already owns the item. Will send in info for ticket. Leach has separate bibs many times for same title so the patrons are requesting material. PAC settings might play into the issue. Which view are they coming into and what are the limitations of that view.
  • Upgrade PROD – times/dates that would work – any time available is fine with catalog group – this should happen soon. Target March 10th 7:15 am …. Should take approximately 1 hour.