ACAD Discovery/PrimoVE User Group Meeting - June 2021
6/18 via Teams
No problems getting into the Teams meeting today
Lynn main contact for both groups and will work in tandem with Jason – reach out to both is fine and can start with Lynn too
- Member Updates
Amanda (UJ) New director starting July 8 – Tuya Dutton
NDSCS (NDW): Amy:working on tiny bit of clean-up on a local electronic collection in NDSCS's catalog
UND: creating collections
Tina BSC: We're working on reorganizing our archives, adding books and other items to the collection, weeding serials
Ellen (ODIN): We're gearing up to release a new ODIN website in early July
Leganto (Monica and Staci DSU)
“Reading Lists (that’s how it’s branded) Experience” PPT: this will be on Teams site
- Goals outlined – meeting students where they are, Blackboard
- Cuts down on Permalink issues! Copyright Compliance
- Potential for much more than a list of links
- Variety of sources can be managed – by librarian or by the instruction themself
- Samples: https://dickinsonstate.libguides.com/readinglists and this Leganto example
- Technology issues: Blackboard support is provided – could have discussions about templates/continuity
- Ask to consider/discuss: all ODIN libraries join us - promote as a group? Use OER funds to incentivize? We should start discussing this at our institutions and bring to our directors and they can bring to the ODIN advisory council
- Do the faculty see how many students clicked and if so, can they access the names of the students who clicked or did not click? - Yes, The faculty can see how many. Seeing the detailed stats with names is an opt in feature
- Accessibility problems? No problems reported but since the reading isn’t located within Bboard may not show up – definitely a way to upload, etc. They have PDF scans of book chapters currently.
- Cost? It’s an add on – DSU got in at the RFP price and ODIN did also put in some money – add-on fee of $8,500 and yearly fee $2500 plus any CCC costs incurred but it will be higher – the more that go in, the better the price. 2 research institutions would be higher price but others may not vary too much. The implementation fee may be a barrier.
- Do you have more instructors interested in using it this Fall? Promotion piece is the hardest part – we don’t want to send our students on resource hunts has been the pitch
- Efficiencies – there's ways to publish so that the lists could be shared throughout NDUS – documents or open web, Instructors can roll over their lists year to year.
- Hesitation with giving students the sources rather than providing instruction on research skills needed to locate them – there may be a way to manage Leganto without providing the item itself. Why pay for Leganto then? Consistency in Blackboard course shell presentation – a unified place.
how many students clicked and if so, can they access the names of the students who clicked or did not click?
- Other Discussion Items
Problematic Gale in Content College Resource linkouts (Liz) - links are broken (technical difficulties error message) AND they block the links to any other targets – Liz added another ticket (3rd one) this week and trying to get an answer since March – she could deactivate this collection for the libraries until it’s resolved – put a ticket in
- Holding Spot
- GovDoc Search (July meeting?)
- LibGuides and Primo: https://slcny.libanswers.com/faq/261303 - note we don’t have resource recommender because additional cost
- Personalizing results
- Managing display of results