User Group Meeting

Polaris Cataloging User Group - May 28, 2020

May 28 2020 | 10 - 11am

May 28, 2020 -- PKS Cataloging Group Meeting Notes:

Agenda:

New items:

  • meeting schedules (do we need every other week/once a month through the summer?)
    • Will look at once a month for now but can reevaluate as needed.
  • removal of items/bibs marked for deletion
    • would statistics be affected? If so, how? Lynn to get more info from Lauren as to what is affected and what their recommendation would be.
  • how are you/your library doing during this time?
    • WFP was able to get importing files from OCLC resolved after issues with city network.
    • NGF not open yet – date will be up to Library Board.
    • DIP started curbside this week – next week will start limited access by appointment for patrons.
    • NDSL working from home. State Agencies opening up next week with reduced staffing percentages.
    • ODIN working on OverDrive deletions. 035$ identification, authority updates loaded
    • NDSL – Kristen Authorities work continues.
  • Retention of files – delete anything from before prior month (keep current plus one previous month)? Import files and report files. Lynn to check with Polaris on recommendation.

Pending/old items:

  • Large print and regular print item merging. Remove 020 $z if you run across it.
    Megan/Jason - procedure to isolate those records still being worked on.
    Update: no update as of yet.
  • Subject heading display standards (include FAST and/or BISAC?). List to be provided to Jason to test on TRN server displays. Kristen sent several examples to share and work from. Poll sent out to listserv. DIP, Statewide Catalog Development Libraries, NDB all do not make any changes. NDSL deletes BISAC, Sears, MESH and foreign language headings. NGF had deleted what they did not want in the past – how does this impact the other libraries? Need feedback on WHAT DO YOU WANT TO MAKE SURE IS RETAINED? Is this still an issue?
  • Discussion topic: MARC fields to set in the templates to be stripped out of OCLC during import: 029, 263, 938. These are all vendor-specific fields that are not intended to be used by libraries or patrons. We have several options ….
    • #1 set up tags to delete in the default which would limit your flexibility but standardize across all libraries (assuming everyone can agree)
    • #2 have a recommended standard for the Import Profiles and let each library determine what is best for what they are doing. This would allow for different tags to be deleted in different profiles as needed
    • #3 In release 6.4 (currently available on TRN environment and soon to be installed on PROD), there is an option to delete all instances of a defined tag – not just the first or last during a Bib Record Bulk Change. This should be of great help in some of the remaining cleanup activities.
    • #4 set up profile in OCLC to strip out tags on import.
      Lynn setup PROD server for NGF to not retain tags. Bobbi had to make a slight profile change to use the system default settings. To do: Work on document outlining the different ways to address this issue. Will become part of the Cataloging User Group documents when completed. UPDATE: no change
  •  Audrey from NGF reported having issues with ILL – LEA material is being sent when NGF already owns the item. Lori will check if this is still an issue and ask Audrey again to submit ticket if it is. Status?
  • In March it was mentioned that Leach has separate bibs many times for same title so the patrons are requesting material. PAC settings might play into the issue. Which view are they coming into and what are the limitations of that view. Any further information on this?
  • Stacey reported problem with multiple 035 tags after upgrade to PRD. Reported to Lauren in Support and received response. This was forwarded to list on 3/12. Discussion? OK now --- can remove.
  • WFP and NDS interested in Polaris label making process - Lynn find documentation to discuss at a later meeting.
  • If import report doesn’t list all records, you may have a record open and “locked” (such as the skinny bib record) so Polaris cannot overlay with the full bib. Lauren put in report of the bug and fix will be coming. No further update.
  • Authority records – weekly files are being processed. Kristen reviewing some of the results and has submitted several global changes.