User Group Meeting

Polaris Cataloging User Group - March 12, 2020

Mar 12 2020 | 10 - 11am

March 12, 2020 -- PKS Cataloging Group Meeting Notes:

Agenda:

  • Update on Data Issues & Standards:
    • Large print and regular print item merging. Remove 020 $z if you run across it. Megan/Jason - procedure to isolate those records still being worked on. Update: no update as of yet.
    • Subject heading display standards (include FAST and/or BISAC?). Leave in for now and can be suppressed in future if needed. List to be provided to Jason to test on TRN server displays after discussion. Kristen sent several examples to share and work from. Poll sent out to listserv as to what tags are being retained and which are being deleted (any 6xx tags). DIP, Statewide Catalog Development Libraries, NDB all do not make any changes. NDSL deletes BISAC, Sears, MESH and foreign language headings. NGF had deleted what they did not want in the past – how does this impact the other libraries? Need feedback on WHAT DO YOU WANT TO MAKE SURE IS RETAINED? Update: no update as of yet. Still working on it.
    • Discussion topic: MARC fields to set in the templates to be stripped out of OCLC during import: 029, 263, 938. These are all vendor-specific fields that are not intended to be used by libraries or patrons.
      We have several options ….
      • #1 set up tags to delete in the default which would limit your flexibility but standardize across all libraries (assuming everyone can agree)
      • #2 have a recommended standard for the Import Profiles and let each library determine what is best for what they are doing. This would allow for different tags to be deleted in different profiles as needed
      • #3 In release 6.4 (currently available on TRN environment and soon to be installed on PROD), there is an option to delete all instances of a defined tag – not just the first or last during a Bib Record Bulk Change. This should be of great help in some of the remaining cleanup activities.
      • #4 set up profile in OCLC to strip out tags on import. *** UPDATE: Lynn setup PROD server for NGF to not retain tags. Bobbi had to make a slight profile change to use the system default settings. To do: Work on document outlining the different ways to address this issue. Will become part of the Cataloging User Group documents when completed.
    • Last week Audrey from NGF reported having issues with ILL – LEA material is being sent when NGF already owns the item. Will send in info for ticket. – I don’t remember seeing that ticket --- did it get resolved? UPDATE: Lori will check if this is still an issue and ask Audrey again to submit ticket if it is.
    • Also last week it was mentioned that Leach has separate bibs many times for same title so the patrons are requesting material. PAC settings might play into the issue. Which view are they coming into and what are the limitations of that view. Any further information on this?
  • New Items:
    • Upgrade PROD – completed. Stacey reported problem with multiple 035 tags. Reported to Lauren in Support. UPDATE: Received response from Lauren. Will forward to the group for review and discussion at next week’s meeting
    • Anything new noticed since the upgrade Tuesday morning? Hiccup for the printers at WFP.
    • Any interest in the Polaris label making process? Molly (WFP), Jess (NDS) – Lynn find documentation to discuss at a meeting later in March.
    • Anyone notice keyboard seems more sensitive in Polaris than other packages? Stacey had some issues with that – IT Staff there adjusted the sensitivity and that did not seem to make much of a difference. Lori recommends an “ISBN wand” and said NGF has not been having problems. WFP uses scanner. Cindy has been having issues with scanner duplicating input at times. Remote computer setups could possibly be contributing to the issues --- watch and let us know if you have problems.
    • If import report doesn’t list all the records, you may have a record open and “locked” (such as the skinny bib record) so Polaris cannot overlay with the full bib. Lauren put in report of the bug and fix will be coming --- not sure timeframe on that though.
  • Update from libraries – how are things going? Please share any tips or hints you run across with either the listserv or at meetings.
    • Bib records with no 049 – “no holdings in NDS” in one of the 9xx tags – records have been from non-OCLC records. Problem is that difficulty in knowing who owns/brought in the original records. No 049 in a record should not be a problem.
    • Other strange information in the bib record could be source of the record – WorldCat?
    • Skinny bibs from ALEPH – did not have 049.
    • Welcome back Mary (WFP)!! Playing catchup from January.
    • NDSL reorganization still moving along.
    • DIP contract with State Library still moving forward also. - Future topics:
    • Authority records - New release of Polaris installed on TRN and authority processing is ready for testing. Lynn will work on procedures to work through the database. Update: I have access to update directory but have not had time to work on it.