User Group Meeting

Polaris Cataloging User Group - February 13, 2020

Feb 13 2020 | 10 - 11am

February 13, 2020 -- PKS Cataloging Group Meeting Notes:

Agenda:

  • Update on Data Issues & Standards:
    • Large print and regular print item merging. Remove 020 $z if you run across it. Info from Ann: “The bulk deletion of the 020 and the 035 is not allowed, it would be an enhancement request. Staff can do it individually but remember those are tags that are used for deduplication and searching.”
      • Revisit dedup rules - specifically author/title match points. – Stacey sent email Wednesday and Lynn sent current settings and options.
      • Explore possibility of work session at ODIN Work Day and/or “cheat sheet” for reference from Stacey.
        UPDATE: Megan/Jason -- procedure to isolate those records still being worked on Lynn deleted rule #1 evening of 2/12/20 since pulling records from LOC z39.50 connection has been disabled. See if this helps. ** If you are still experiencing problems, please send in examples so they can be further evaluated. We also can test reordering the rules on TRN server to see if that changes the dedup process. Let Lynn know if interested in testing.
    • New documentation in the works for Polaris import settings – Stacey and Jessica – documentation started on CAT Express and Connexion client. Jessica sent out draft on 1/30. No feedback this week. Will post to the Cataloging User Group area on ODIN website. Let us know if there are any questions/problems.
    • Subject heading display – group to decide on standard to include FAST and/or BISAC. Potentially leave in for now and can be suppressed in future if needed. List to be provided to Jason to test on TRN server displays after discussion. Kristen sent several examples to share and work from. ** Update from Jason next week.
    • Records that have multiple repeating 856 42 fields discussion from last week – agreed all but the first set be deleted – UPDATE: Jessica sent more examples to the odin-pks-cat listserv for discussion this week. No objections voiced. These guidelines will also be posted to ODIN site. Please follow guidelines and let us know if you have questions or problems.
    • 730 tags – suppress from PAC – Lynn and Jason to work on -- Ideal solution: If 730 $i is present, suppress entire 730 tag. If 730 $i does not exist, display the 730. No update.
    • FAST subject headings. Lynn and Jason to work to identify and suppress. No update.
  • New Items:
    • When using import profiles, if you use the default/PolarisExec generated it will not include the time/date stamp. Recommendation is to create your own import profile so that information is available if you should need it.
    • Please review the Import Report when bringing records in to make sure all records have been loaded. Report ASAP if any records are “missing” or totals do not match/make sense.
    • Cindy (DIP) doing research into what items are owned and comparing to skinny bibs and holdings in WorldCat. She is working on document explaining process and will send out when ready.
    • Ann implemented the Digital Branch lock down on TRN. Stacey tested and it worked as expected. Report any problems if you run across them. Any reports available to identify physical records merged with digital record? ODIN will explore options (digital branch items with barcodes that are not econtent).
    • Discussion topic: tags to include in PAC full display Title fields. Suppress 222-243. Include 246 4 and 246 8 for Cover title and Spine title. The rest of the tags may remain in Other title.
    • Discussion topic: series brief display in PAC. Move 490 to definition 1, current option 1 to definition 2 and the 8xx option to definition 3.
  • Future topics:
    • Authority records - New release of Polaris installed on TRN and authority processing needs to be tested before applying to PRD. On Monday the ODIN Office had a walk through with trainer. This was very helpful and Lynn will work on procedures to work through the database.
  • Update from libraries – how are things going?
    • Please share any tips or hints you run across with either the listserv or at meetings.
    • Stacey had ITEM come in as provisional status because barcode already existed. Note: Apparently ITEMs as well as BIBs can be provisional.
    • Migration residue – bib control number 1 had many items attached that did not have a bib associated with it. There were 3 correct linked items. The other 184 were moved to BIB control number 1048105 for evaluation. All the records except a small handful had a DELETED status on ALEPH. Most of these records were for ND Supreme Court. Any of the ALEPH DELETED records were deleted and anything that was not deleted was referred to the associated library to address. If you have questions, please touch base with Lynn.
    • What should we call “Linda’s Libraries”? New suggested label “Non-OCLC Libraries”