Alma Cataloging User Group - September 28, 2020
September 28, 2020 – Academic Cataloging Group Notes
ATTENDING: Amy (NDSCS), Aubrey (NMY), Ben (NDV), Drew (UND), Jasmine (NDJ), Jason (ODIN), Jenny (NDSU), Julia (NMI), Kelly (NMY), Laurie (UNE), Liz (NBJ), Phyllis (NDJ), Shelby (UND), Staci (NDI), Tina (NDSU), Lynn (ODIN)
Data Cleanup/Data Review:
- UND - browsing call numbers and cutters used in 099 tags, NMI -- cutters with 092 for children’s collections, virtual browse uses 050 instead of 090 (based on bib record rather than holding) – STATUS: Fiction that use 099 still problematic. Ben NDV – initially had problems with type of browses, prefixes are not included (JUV …), NDJ – dewey looks better but children’s fiction (cutter #s in 099) are still a problem. “Other type” appears to be sorting by “whole number” rather than digit-by-digit. Updated SF ticket.
- Shelby created norm rule to delete undesirable fields from OCLC records import. STATUS: Jason has information and working on implementing.
- NetLibrary/EBSCOeBooks problem for several libraries. STATUS: Jenny gave presentation in ACQ group. Will be sharing documentation with ACQ and CAT groups.
- Libraries will need to identify the titles involved. Reports from ECM My Owned Titles list, filter by SHARED PURCHASE, most records have MII.
- Overdrive access issue – STATUS: NDUS SAML authentication setup for home-campus and NDJ authentication working. Still working on NDUS dual enrollment and community patrons.
- Demo needed for fixing eBooks/NetLibrary issue. Jenny said ACQ User Group would discuss at their 9/21 meeting.
- Cataloging ebooks and changing URLS (listserv traffic from 9/21 am). Discussion for better definition of what is needed: purchased vs free resources, NetLibrary, timeframe. STATUS: Discuss October 12th meeting: Starting point for review for October 12th session: https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/Alma/Training/Alma_Essentials/Alma_… https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/Alma/Training/Extended_Training/Pre…
- Authorities – Preferred Terms Correction (sent to listserv 9/17 pm). Thread started in Basecamp for more info related to consortia. Lynn posted question to Basecamp about how the NZ records would be handled. https://3.basecamp.com/3765443/buckets/14394235/messages/3040287105#__r…
- 029 should be configured to automatically be excluded in the Connexion setup. If you have questions on where to look, catalogers can touch base with Shelby and she will walk you through it.
- Authorities – preferred term discussion – how long does it takes to get passed through?
- Authorities Task List –
- Authorities NACO Trained – Shelby (UND) and Tina (NDSU) – will help review preferred term correction
- Lynn will submit SF case requesting turn on for NDSU and UND. They will report back in future meetings as to how it works out before others are enabled.
- How are people coping with NZ? Feeling more comfortable?
- Things were getting better.
- NMY Overdrive 856 tags removed in OCLC still coming across. In Primo, they say Check holdings if you want to see the call numbers displayed. Change CHECK HOLDINGS to something else (Click here to check holdings)?
- NMY – The Coddling of the American mind – format/media limited choices set up through portfolio. Might have to verify fixed fields in bib to make sure it is correct.
- Portfolio – getting rid of material – recommendation is to start from the “littlest thing” and then work up to the largest.
- New question to think about: Hathi Trust Serials come in with a lot of URLs attached (including many many google links). If individual library cleans up some of the extra links in the IZ but record is still linked to NZ, it will get updated and wipe up all the work. https://help.oclc.org/WorldCat/Metadata_Quality/Frequently_asked_questi…
- NDI found a record to use from NZ but could not find an OCLC number on the record. How to update holdings with OCLC if cannot find OCLC number? Shelby responded it may be part of a package in the CZ and she has run into this scenario also. Find the resource in OCLC and F8 to add (this way if you have to withdraw the item later, it will be easier to clean up at OCLC also).
- Jenny will be sending NetLibrary documentation when it is completed.