Alma Cataloging User Group - September 21, 2020
Sep 21 2020 | 2 - 3pm
September 21, 2020 – Academic Cataloging Group Notes
ATTENDING: Amy (NDSCS), Ben (NDV), Drew (UND), Jasmine (NDJ), Jason (ODIN), Jenny (NDSU), Kelly (NMY), Laurie (UNE), Shelby (UND), Tina (NDSU), Lynn (ODIN)
Data Cleanup/Data Review:
- UND - browsing call numbers and cutters used in 099 tags, NMI -- cutters with 092 for children’s collections, virtual browse uses 050 instead of 090 (based on bib record rather than holding) – UPDATE: Still a problem?
- Children’s fiction call numbers are often not in order (TD12709890/SF00821559). Should be fixed in September 2020 release. UPDATE: Has this been resolved. Dewey children’s for UND looks good. Fiction that use 099 still problematic. Ben NDV – initially had problems with type of browses, prefixes are not included (JUV …), NDJ – dewey looks better but children’s fiction (cutter #s in 099) are still a problem. “Other type” appears to be sorting by “whole number” rather than digit-by-digit. Updated SF ticket.
- UND has trouble matching with brief order records in the IZ but may be due to old orders from ALEPH. Shelby sent outline of procedures to the list for others to test if they wish. Tina (NDSU) is working on specific document for e-books. UPDATE: Any questions/discussion on the procedures? New titles seem to work fine.
- Shelby sent email 8/5 - norm rule delete undesirable fields from OCLC records that are imported daily for discussion. Last week discussions included 653 being used. 690 field for notes and ND author but 691 should be ND Author. UPDATE: Discussion? UND is ready for implementing NR for this, NDSU and NDJ both voiced readiness for this to be moved into place. Shelby will double check everything and then send to Jason for inclusion.
- NetLibrary/EBSCOeBooks problem for several libraries. Discussion from ACQ User Group? UPDATE: Jenny gave presentation in ACQ group. Will be sharing documentation with ACQ and CAT groups.
- Libraries will need to identify the titles involved. Reports from ECM My Owned Titles list, filter by SHARED PURCHASE, most records have MII.
- Overdrive access issue – UPDATE: NDUS SAML authentication setup for home-campus, still working on NDJ and NDUS dual enrollment patrons.
- OCLC ODINA daily extracts – updates completed through 9/9. Any problems noted? Ready for full process? UPDATE: Does not unless there is a replaced field or new holding. Issue on OCLC end in the selection process for the extract. https://3.basecamp.com/3765443/buckets/14394235/messages/2950835911#__r…
- Demo needed for fixing eBooks/NetLibrary issue. Jenny said ACQ User Group would discuss at their 9/21 meeting.
- Cataloging ebooks and changing URLS (listserv traffic from 9/21 am). Recommended procedures? Discussion: Need better definition of what needs to be discussed – purchased vs free resources, NetLibrary, timeframe – dedicated time during Monday meeting or new meeting, suggested to delay 2-3 weeks (target date is October 12th),
Starting point for review for October 12th session:
- Authorities – Preferred Terms Correction (sent to listserv 9/17 pm). Thread started in Basecamp for more info related to consortia. Has anyone more information from other sites using this option? Any library want this turned on at this time or is opposed to having it turned on? UPDATE: Lynn posted question to Basecamp about how the NZ records would be handled. Having a response to that thread is needed before decision. Need more information on what needs to be done and how to do it.
- Authority records – Authority Control Task List – titles are showing up from Community Zone. Shelby demo’ed how to fix one of the errors. Report Type filter and facets can be used to focus work that needs to be done.